Gym Jobs 4u – Fitness Industry At All Time High
– Total Market Value £3.92 billion
– 1.5% rise in value and 4.5% rise in total membership
The 2013 State of the UK Fitness Industry Report reveals that the UK health and fitness industry has grown its total market value by 1.5% to £3.92 billion over the twelve month period to the end of March 2013.
The 2013 report highlights that the industry has experienced improved growth in the last twelve months with increases of 1.5% in value, 2% in the number of fitness facilities and a 4.5% rise in the number of members, according to independent leisure market analysts The Leisure Database Company.
In the middle of a recessionary period, the fitness sector is still expanding despite the economic slowdown. Since 2009, the fitness industry has grown its total market value by 4%, the member base by 8.3% and the number of fitness facilities by 3.9%.
The growth in the industry has been driven by strong performance from both private and public fitness facilities but especially from the rapidly growing private low cost market. The private low cost sector saw significant growth across the three key performance indicators – number of clubs, member numbers and total market value. This rapidly expanding market now accounts for 6% of the total number of private clubs, 6% of the private market value and an impressive 14% of the private sector membership. However this growth comes at a price; as the low cost operators are having an impact on both average monthly membership fees and the yield per member across the industry.
Summary of Key Facts
– Total Market Value (public and private sectors combined) is estimated at £3.92 billion, up 1.5% on 2012.
– 12.6% of the UK population are now registered as members of a private health and fitness club or a publicly-owned fitness facility contrasting with 12.1% in the previous year.
– Total industry membership base is the strongest growth indicator, up 4.5% to 7.9 million over the past 12 months.
– 167 new public and private fitness facilities opened in the 12 month period ending 31st March 2013, up from 163 in 2012, 149 in 2011 and 122 in 2010.
– There are now 6,019 fitness facilities in the UK, up from 5,900 last year.
Despite another year of economic slowdown in 2013 the fitness industry is continued to stand strong with both private and public fitness sectors showing record numbers of members, fitness facilities and total market value with the UK penetration rate hitting an all time high of 12.6%.